Friday, July 17, 2009

first update in a long time

i'm sitting alone tonight in my apartment, bored for the first time in a very long time... (Slu is off to Taiwan, and Vania is out of town taking on the daunting challenge of an International distance triathlon......!)

Life is rather good.. I've settled into the apartment that we'll be living in for the coming year, and now I have some time to think about some projects for the summer and other random things. I think a list will be better.

  • Furnishing the apartment has been an interesting experience, with many trips to faraway places like downtown Chicago for furniture, and serveral trips to Home Depot to build our own countertops, etc...
  • My bike was recently stolen while parked at a bike rack next to Kellogg :( A spiteful voice in my head says I hope they don't find much value/use out of it since it is missing the seat and lacks a rear axle... furthermore, I sprayed down the chain+gears with WD-40 right *before* i bothered to look it up online to find out that WD-40 is one of the unholy sins of bike maintanence since it dissolves away the lubricant, causing the metal components to grind and rub on each other.... Either way, I am currently searching for a replacement (looking into the possibilities of a road bike?)
  • I found a new fascination with the Charcaol Chimney... bascially a open cylinder that you use for lighting your coals for grilling without the use of lighter fluid, and supposedly makes the process much faster. I do find it difficult for me to fork over ~$18 for such a simple device that i could probably make out of a coffee can... maybe more on this project to come...
  • I now have the dilemma of whether or not i should tune up my car. In many ways, I really wish my car was a Legacy GT, with the glory of 243 turbocharged horses. That way it would also fit a lot more of the performance components normally found on the STi's. Again, my frugality is getting in the way of any action that i'm contemplating.
  • I need to start picking up web design skillz... I have a website overhaul that I need to complete soon! @_@
  • Photography has been fun, but i think I'd like to gain a bit more hardware for some cooler results... I'm thinking a nice flash would be a great accessory, but if the photog experts out there have any suggestions, I'm listening :)

0 comments: